Are you caring for a child that is not your own?

by Andrew Lind on 12 February, 16

Caring for a child that is not yours, may entitle you to financial assistance.

If you are caring for a child and you are not the child’s biological parent, you can apply for child support from one (or both) of the child’s parents.

You must make an application to the Department of Human Services and your application will be subjected to a Child Support Assessment. Some examples of non-parent child carers include extended family members of the child, such as grandparents, older siblings, aunts and uncles and/or individuals who have been entrusted by the child’s parents (like close family friends) or the Court to care for that child such as legal guardians.

The Child Support (Assessment) Act 1989assess the percentage of care and the type of care that is likely to be provided by the party.  Any changes to circumstances of care, can also affect the Child Support arrangement and the Child Support Agency must be notified.

If you would like to find out more about how you can apply as a non-parent for financial support, read more in our article here.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Terms & Conditions

Law Experts content including responses to your questions and comments provides legal information, tips and hints. The content on this site is not legal advice. That’s good, because there’s no risk of getting a bill by making a comment, asking a question or just contacting us.

You agree that any comment or question that you may ask may be published on this site, after editorial review, for the benefit of future readers. Our editors may edit comments in their discretion. For example we will would seek to remove information that would identify you.

The Corney & Lind lawyers (law experts) are of course happy to give legal advice, that’s what they do for a living. However it is only legal advice when you have engaged Corney & Lind Lawyers to provide legal advice for you. Before you do that you want to have an idea of what it might cost and our lawyers are happy to communicate with you about this.

We may change any of these terms and conditions at any time in our discretion by changing them on this page.

You must scroll down the terms & conditions before you can agree.

Previous post:

Next post: