The Family Law Amendment (Financial Agreements and Other Measures) Bill 2015 relates to binding financial agreements and other matters relating to Family Law.
The Family Law Amendment proposes to amend the financial agreement regime in the Act to:
- remove existing uncertainties around requirements for entering, interpreting and enforcing agreements;
- make changes to the coverage of spousal maintenance matters in agreements;
- introduce a statement of principles to outline their binding nature; and
- reinforce the binding nature of the agreements to offer certainty to parties.
The Bill if passed would also amend the Act to:
- strengthen protections from violence in certain procedural matters;
- strengthen Australia’s response to international parental child abduction;
- modernise the arrest powers of the family court;
- assist the operation of the family law courts; and
- make other minor and technical amendments, including clarifying definitions and removing redundant provisions.
You can access a copy of the Bill here.